Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Bootleg on a Budget Presents: Bath Improvement

Ok, so maybe I have been watching a little too much HGTV but, I've gotten some great ideas from watching show after show, especially "Designed to Sell" and "ColorSplash" check it out....

BOOTLEG DESIGN ON A BUDGET by Me
  • Dilemma #1: Dark, dank blue bathroom decor. Oh sure the sun, moon and star thing was all the rage...three years ago. I also had a bit of a clutter problem too.



  • Dilemma #2: My Mom bought me the cutest little bathroom decorations and I decided to build my bathroom theme around them. Aren't they just darling? She gave these to me over a year ago and as you can see from the mauve-ish color and black polka-dots, this is not an easy scheme to pull together.

  • During my prolong stay in my home town, I finally found by pure accident a set of rugs that would compliment my little pinkish potty and crew so my loving step-mother purchased them for me.






Finally, back in town, while looking for a pair of shoes for my college bound nephew in Target, I decided to try my luck at finding the right color shower curtain for my bathroom make over. To my dismay, most of the curtains held not even a stitch of the color I was looking for or they were outrageously expensive (I am a CHEAP SKATE-I admit it). Anyway, coming out of the shower curtain aisle I looked down and there it was..my shower curtain hidden among the place mats.

  • Ok lemme explain: I found the cutest polka dot plastic place mats and suddenly the light bulb popped on and started to singe my dreads. My nephew thought I had lost my mind, especially when I went back to the show curtain aisle and picked up a white shower curtain liner. (design similar but not exact)


  • Back at home, armed with a hot glue gun and lots of patience, I begin cutting the place mats into long strips. After that task I start hot gluing them in random formation on the white shower liner. To make it "pop" I outlined the pieces with black fabric paint. I had a few glitches along the way, like the cat and the three year old adding their own artistic touches but I still think it turned out pretty cool.










  • My final touch on my bathroom was to add the cute little pieces which I did by mounting a simple black cube I got from Target (12.99) on the wall and placing the pieces on top and inside. I secured the pieces with gum putty to make sure they don't some how fall off and smash to pieces.





  • Opposite of the black cube is a left over box which held 'thank you" cards. Because the design on the box is three dimensional and the colors totally matched my new bath, I mounted it as well.


  • I also purchases a plastic container to place all of my beauty aid stuff like lotion and hair care products under the sink and I utilized the little drawers on either side of my vanity to clear the clutter from my sink.

  • That was awful! Now its clutter free!

Join me next time when we make over my little monster's mess (of a room)!!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes Mama R.'s house is now and has always been lovely to me.You know I loves some shabby chic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

That was cool! Good job! Now you are going to have to help me redo mine! LOL

Anonymous said...

ugh, u did it without me..SO RUDE!!!..lol.looks great though

Wolf Lover Girl said...

OUTSTANDING! I love it all. Way to go girl...

~ Wolf Lover Girl

 
Google